Friday, August 04, 2006

…About Our Children
This morning my 3-year-old crept into my bedroom with the stealth of a rhino. As she climbed upon my chest, I laid there with my eyes closed pretending to be asleep.
"Daddy, are you awake?"
"No"
She took her little finger and began to pry my eyes open. With both my eyes painfully forced open, she shoved her tiny face into mine and ordered, "Wake up!"
God love her. What a start to the day that was.
I love my kids. They are my life. They’re suppose to be. It is no mistake that my world revolves around theirs. They won’t learn if I don’t teach them, and I do mean me. I can’t pass that job off to somebody else. My oldest son, a teenager, asked me, "Is sex really as good as people make it out to be?" I don’t want him getting that answer from anyone else but me!
Some may say I’m over-protective. I don’t think so. There are other parents that feel the same. Not long ago, I spent a week with a couple, Mike and Tina, at a youth camp. They were there because their son was there. They want to be apart of his life. That my friend is called "child rearing", and not enough parents do it.
Think about the amount a time you spend with your kids. Do you see them before they leave for school? What time do you see them when they get home? Do they hang around their friends more than you? Do you even eat a meal a day together? How long has it been this way?
Child rearing, just like a marriage, is work… hard work! It is not for wimps. It takes courage, fortitude and whole lot of love. As I look over the years of different parents that I have known, I think a lot of them just got tired and quit. Don’t do that. Hang in there and guide your children to be the adults that will make you and God proud of them.
If you get tired just think of my 3-year-old. Maybe we could work it out to have her wake you up some morning.

No comments: