Friday, March 02, 2007

Cell Phones…

I had a cell phone once. I eventually got rid of it. Now I know that there are those of you who have a cell phone for good reasons. So did I. I was the owner of a painting/finishing company. I needed to be in touch with my general contractors and suppliers and customers. What a great invention! A phone that went with you every where you went. No matter what I was doing anyone could reach me at anytime. Think how fantastic that it is!
With that in mind, one day I went to work by myself. I was hoisted 60 feet in the air in a lift bucket. My phone was down on the ground so as not to get paint all over it. It was bid day. That means I had submitted bids on contracts and I was waiting to hear from contractors to see if I was awarded any of the bids that could be worth up to $16,000.00 for my business.
So, there I was, 60 feet in the air, painting the side of a building, when I heard that digital tone which informed me that I had a phone call. I put down my painting equipment. I maneuvered the hydraulics as quickly as I could to reach the ground. I jumped out of the bucket and ran over to the phone. As soon as I picked it up, it quit ringing. I checked the answering service, no message. I took the phone with me and got a drink of water. Surely, whoever it was would call back. I took the time to go to the bathroom, and get another drink.... no call back. I must have killed a good 15 minutes. Who was it that called and what did they want?
I set the phone closer. I climbed back in the bucket, hoisted myself 60 feet back into the air and began to work. Within 20 minutes, the digital tone went off again. Again, I diligently placed my painting equipment so it wouldn’t dry out or fall. Again, I maneuvered the bucket (as quickly as I could) to the ground. I jumped out of the bucket and dashed to the phone. This time it quit ringing before I picked it up…no message either. I looked around. Was somebody playing a game with me? If they were, it wasn’t funny!
This time, I found an old rag, wrapped up the cell phone and took it with me 60 feet into the air. I had no more than started painting when the phone rang. I snatched it out of the cloth and answered with a frustrated, almost mean "hello!"
It was my wife calling me to ask if I had heard from any of the bids I submitted. That was the last call that I received that day.

That was a frustrating day that I have never forgotten.


P.S. – I lost a $12,000.00 bid because I didn’t get to the phone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I hate cell phones. In fact, I hate to talk on the phone. I would much rather carve out some time to talk face to face with someone of my own choosing. I finally gave in to getting a cell phone when my job required it, but I only give my number to a few select friends and family who I don't mind to talk to at any time.

Since I have gotten a cell phone, it has been such a time saver. I can make my calls on my long drive home from work and not have to bother with the phone when I get home. And, thank goodness I had it when my car refused to start one night. Of course, I could not be nearly as efficient at my job without it. It's amazeing how we start to depend on things that we got by all of our lives without.

I think the most frustrating thing about cell phones is when you live and drive so far from the civilized world, the phone loses reception when you need it most.

I am just glad that I don't have to lose reception with the Lord. He always responds when I call.