Monday, February 18, 2013

PERSPECTIVE


It’s around zero to -5 degrees here in central Wisconsin. We have about 14 inches of snow still on the ground. It’s hard to tell because of how much we push the snow around and make giant piles of it.

I woke up this morning around 4:30 am. Writing this article was on my mind. I missed last week. I was busy…too busy to write. Can you believe that...too busy to write! Me and the guys in the band were preparing for a dinner concert that we were using as a fundraiser for our ministry this summer. We were doing songs that we don’t normally perform. So, we were rehearsing every evening…that we could. I had a couple of people in the hospital from my church so I made some hospital visits (which are a 45 minute drive one way). I officiated a couple of basketball games (that’s where the funds came from to put on the dinner). In the middle of all this the parsonage sewer line came to a complete and immediate halt. So, I took the time to rent a snake and try to clean it out myself… I broke the snake. If any of my parishioners are reading this, I paid for it out of my own pocket. And it wasn’t just a “simple job”. Because of the snow and ice outside, we had to take the toilet off the floor and go in from the inside. We eventually had to call in a professional due to my failure.

Let’s see…where was I? Oh yes, I started a “Lenten Family Bible Study”. That’s where we come together on Wednesday Nights. People bring a dish to pass, fellowship together, pray together and then break up by age group to study God’s Word together. I am one of those guys that develop his own curriculum for everything. So, I’ve been putting in a lot of late nights on that.

I still have my regular sermon prep to do. I’ve been working on getting the band booked for ministry (which is a whole other blog by itself). I also I performed a sweetheart wedding for an 84 year old man and his bride (which shall remain ageless).  And for the grand finale… drum roll please…my whole household has come down with a respiratory infection…everyone but me. This week isn’t looking any easier.

That’s the last 10 days. The purpose of this diatribe isn’t pity. In fact, it’s just the opposite. As I was lying awake and thinking about this article at 4:30 am, it dawned on me (pun intended) that one of the ladies from my Church was getting up and getting ready for work. I wouldn’t want to have to do that every day.

As I looked outside at the ice and snow, I was reminded of a couple of fellows from my Church that deliver LP gas and work outside all day in the cold. I wouldn’t want to do that either.

As I hear my kids and wife coughing in a symphony of hacks, I am reminded of the different ones I have visited in the hospitals with the flu so severe it almost cost them their lives. I am reminded of parishioners and family members with children that are battling cancer…fighting for their lives. I wouldn’t want to face that.

When I think about the time that I gave for that wedding, it also occurs to me the joy that the bride and groom are experiencing came at the price of sorrow. Both had lost their spouses in prolonged illnesses. I don’t want to face that!

So, you see it’s about perspective. My life maybe a little crazy, hectic and hard to manage, however, I would rather lose a little sleep and write this article (which I enjoy doing) than go through what some others are going through!

Thank you God for giving me what I can handle!

So I will tackle this day with God’s grace and help. I will praise Him because He promised He would never leave me alone. I will purposely live for Him because God promised that those who do will be so close that they will be in His shadow! (Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Psalm 91: 1-2)

I will endeavor to learn how to manage my time so as not to miss being with you (my friends) on the “Front Porch”.

I must go. I have some friends I want to pray for today. I want to ask God to give them strength. Then, I have an elderly lady to take to the hospital which is an hour and a half away. I wouldn’t want to have the heart problems she’s having or face the surgery that she’s facing.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Eric. You've made my day and taught me a lesson as well. I'm going to go face my day with gratitude instead of complaint! God bless you!

Unknown said...

PS...I look forward to our visits on the Front Porch. Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

You are so right, Eric. We had to cancel church yesterday due to blizzard conditions. Haven't been out yet as we still have them (blizzard warning due to come down today at 4 pm), and I was thanking God that I have a warm home and wasn't living in my car w/o gas to start it to keep warm (or worse yet, no car to live in and have to be out on the street!).

Unknown said...

I would like to leave my comment, but after typing for about 30 minutes (and still not finding an end), I realize I may need a blog of my own. I have no idea how to do it. I've been told I should write a book. I will say this: I know there are people out there who have it worse than I, but,(and I can't help but remember that person who said, "Once you say 'but' you discount everything you said before it), BUT, I still can't help but wallow in my own self pitty. I know there are people out there who have it worse than me and my two daughters, but, as a mom, I have had enough. I stand alone. Alone with my thoughts. Alone with my emotions. Alone. I trust no one. For the past has proven this to me. I have had much trial in the past three years. I could write a book on that alone. I try to look at the good. I do, BUT, I haven't dealt with the past. For the past doesn't stay there. It keeps showing it's ugly head. Too many negatives and not enough energy to climb out and live in the positive. I miss our kitchen window. Maybe my blog should be called "The Kitchen Window". Past tells me that your family is doing well, even with the sickness. Even with strife, your family has always shown strength. You have a great loving wonderful family. I miss you.

Unknown said...

Michelle, your life has been difficult. I'm not sure I could face what you have been going through. Our hearts (Miriam, my wife, and mine) go out to you. We pray that things will get better. The only thing that brings hope is a faith in God.
"Father I ask that you would comfort my friend. Bring deep love and peace to her life. I pray and ask that she would know you in such a deep way that she will always have hope....In Jesus' Name I Ask....