Saturday, February 10, 2007

ROAD LESS TRAVELED

Good Morning! I hope the weather is warm where you are. It is cold here. Somewhere around 5 below zero…I think. I came at 5 a.m. this morning to see if I could accomplish something. Today will be a long day. For the past 4 years I have volunteered my time as a basketball official to referee elementary school games on Saturday. A big tournament will start today. I have 6 games to ref. What is really cool is that my son wants try his hand at it. So, today I am breaking in a new official. I hope the parents and I have the patience for it today. I think he will do all right. It’s all 5th grade today.
As I left the house and came to the "Front Porch" this morning I noticed something beautiful. A make shift path had been made by a snowblower through the yard to the church (where my computer is). With a half moon brilliantly reflecting off the snow, a beam of light shimmered down the path. It seemed to speak, "…come this way."
Then, I thought of the poem by Robert Frost, Road Less Traveled. I have often thought about the road of life that the Lord has led me down. Others have come this way. I see the trail that they have left for me. A few times the Lord has led me off the path and into "uncharted" territories. A few times I got off the path myself and just plain ole’ "got lost".
But the road I have chosen, the one my Savior invited me on, has been good. I have enjoyed the road…for the most part. I am not sure how I got here. I don’t know where it leads. I have not a clue where or when it will end. But this I do know, I have wonderful companions to go with me along the journey and by what I have seen and what I have done along the way, has made me who I am.
Enjoy the poem and reflect on the road you have chosen.


ROAD LESS TRAVELED
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet, knowing how way leads onto way
I doubted if I should ever come back

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence
Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference

Robert Frost

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites and one that I think on often. It has much to say about the spiritual life.

I am always amazed by how even the smallest of life's decisions can make such a difference in one's life. The important thing to remember is to look for the footprints of our Lord that go before us. If we follow the path that He provides, He will always be there to lead us through the thorns, no matter how difficult our path may seem at times.

I do think that one sure path is that of investing oneself in the lives of children, especially our own. When a son admires what his father does enough to follow in his footsteps, I believe that it is a sign from the Father that he is on the right path. Way to go Ref!!

Unknown said...

Glad to see a new post. I enjoy reading your blog. Stop by mine if you like. www.musingsfromtheleftcoast.blogspot.com