Monday, February 05, 2007

Cheer For A Winner!


Before I say anything else…. YEAH COLTS!
Now that I got that out of my system, I think I can move on.
Really, even though it is cold outside, there is internal warmth on the porch because my team won,...well, not my team. I don’t own the Colts. Nevertheless, they were the team that I was pulling for. And when they won, it was like I won, but I didn’t.
I got to thinkin’ about that. "How come I feel so good about an achievement that I didn't have anything to do with?" I didn’t practice with the Colts…that would be painful. I didn’t sponsor them by buying their franchise stuff…that too would be painful. Basically, I have just cheered for them from a long ways away. So far away, that the Colts couldn’t hear me and it wouldn’t make a difference to them anyway.
I think I know where the satisfaction comes from. It may sound strange, but I think it has to do with success…yeah success! Let me speak of myself and if you can identify with me… then great!
I want to be a success. I want to make it to the top. I want to achieve. (I don’t think you’re any different than me.) So, I strive with the resources that I have to be a success. I use the financial resources available to me to be a success. I prioritize my time to be a success. I position myself to be a success.
Now realistically how successful am I going to be in a little town of 400 in the middle of "Nowhere", Wisconsin with the little amount of financial equity I have available to me and an even smaller amount of talent? I am a realist. I will not be successful. That’s just the way it is. Then, when an entity that you cheer for "makes it". When they become champions and win the big one, I get a sense of satisfaction. Satisfied that someone I cheered for became a success. It makes me feel like I became the success.
You know, we need to learn to do this in our Churches. When another Church wins a "big game", and they become a "success". We, …oops, I mean I need to learn how to feel satisfied in their success. Maybe it would help if I started to cheer for them and make them "my team" instead of my opponent.
Unfortunately, we can’t all be "successes". But we can all find satisfaction in cheering for a winner and celebrating them when they win the "big one".
You know, I heard about a brand new Baptist church (east of here) that was started 3 years ago and they already have over 100 people worshiping on Sundays and have a new building…go team!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is success?
God gives each person the resources necessary to accomplish his purpose in life. When we purpose to invest those resources wisely for His kingdom, then He multiplies them and helps us succeed in His plan.

You, my friend, are a success. You have given yourself to others for as long as I have known you. You have the gift of listening, supporting, and caring. You are compassionate. You have the heart of a pastor. Your smile warms the hearts of many.

Well done. Stay focused. Keep investing wisely. Your paycheck and recognition are waiting on the other side.

Anonymous said...

I think you're right on the money in terms of wanting to associate oneself with a known "winner." That's why people who don't play on a team say, "Dude, did you see how we whipped the Bears?"

Anyway, again, I think you're right. I also think you're correct in changing our perception in terms of viewing others within our field as competitors to seeing them as potential partners. That way, success is shared and we get away from that them/us mentality which holds such a dangerous potential to transform into judgment.

Rob (over at Conner in Hoosierland)